Thursday, May 10, 2012

No chicks :(

I made an order with Meyers Hatchery months ago to get my spring chicks. I went online yesterday to see when exactly they would get here and how many I would be getting. There was no history of my placing an order at all. I know I ordered them because I remember picking an arrival date sometime in the first week of June. I also ordered a basket to carry my eggs in and chose the option to have that sent separately. I called the company and the lady that answered the phone told me that if I chose a breed with a limited availability for that particular hatch date, I might have ordered more than they had available and the system would have kicked my whole order out. Great. So now it's too late to order any of the chicks I wanted and Murray McMurray wants a minimum 25 chick order. I really don't want that many chicks. Does anyone know of another hatchery besides these two that they could recommend? If not, they I guess I will pick up the Australorpes at the local feed store and forget about getting the Cochins or Brahmas. Maybe hatching some of my own Cochin eggs would be the way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if I'm too late to answer this one or not.
    I belong to several Yahoo chicken groups, trying to learn all I can.
    This question was asked there recently and there were several replies to it.
    Number one was Ideal Poultry. Also mentioned.
    Townline hatchery - Michigan
    Uncle Henry's - A North East online Classifieds listing.
    Craigslist for your local area.
    Cackle Hatchery - Missouri
    Hoover's Hatchery - Iowa

    Others I have heard of

    MyPetChicken - Connecticut - They allow for small orders and say so. Not sure about the other places.

    Backyard chickens has a forum with a thread for chicken breeders and hatcheries. You may find someone listed in or near your area.
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!