Friday, January 8, 2010

pogonip


So we got some pogonip last night. I had to look it up though to see what exactly it was. Apparently it is when there is a heavy fog and the temp suddenly fall below 0 and it freezes in the air and settles onto every available surface.


Another name for it is white death because if you breath it, it can cause lung damage. Anyway, it is pretty and so I thought I would share some pics.


The first pic is obviously of a pine tree. I love how the frost is on every needle of the tree. It reminds me of the flocking everyone used to spray on their Christmas trees.

This second pic is of the dead stalks of a poppy plant I never cleaned out of my flower beds. It is probably the most extreme case of pogonip in the yard. I like how delicate and feathery it looks.


The last pic is of my windchimes. I don't know why, but I just really like this pic.


So I got to wondering what would happen in a survival situation if pogonip were to occur. Other than the obvious (stay indoors and warm), what would something like this mean for me and my family?
I don't have an answer yet, but it gives me something to think about.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!