Sunday, November 13, 2011

Venison roast

Last night I cooked up a venison roast in the crock pot. I am going to need a better way to season it, but it was still so good that I never got a picture of it to post. It got eaten too fast! My only complaint was that the worcestershire sauce was too strong for the veggies I cooked along with the roast. I might have to marinade the meat first and then add some lighter seasoning when I cook it. Any ideas? suggestions? What is your favorite venison recipe?
The dollar (breakfast) steaks are what made me want to hunt deer this year. I have very fond memories of deer steak for breakfast on Christmas morning. My mother would make biscuits and gravy and dollar steaks so that we could spend the rest of the day just hanging out as a family. We never had a big Christmas dinner, but we ate like kings for breakfast.
I am considering tanning the deer hides but am a little intimidated. I tried tanning a coyote hide once and I think I could have done it but Hubby got tired of it hanging around in the garage and tossed it. I think the buckskin would be a little easier than trying to tan a fur. Am I crazy for trying this?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite way to cook venison is to cut it in pieces the size of one or two fingers (much like chicken fingers) and soak it in zesty Italian dressing overnight. Then roll in flower and deep fry.
    As far as tanning, I have tried it a few times but with little success. I have a hard time making it supple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worchestershire is basically a spicy soy sauce. So, you might substitute that if you like the salty soy flavor without the spice. Bourbon is always good in a marinade too. I tend to prefer olive oil with dry spices including salt, pepper, garlic powder and either basil or oregano depending on my mood.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!