Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Peachy Keen Cobbler

It's been incredibly hot lately (yes, that is me whining) and so cooking just about anything is totally out of the window. We've been eating a lot of salads and light food, with some BBQ thrown in here and there. I did have a couple of things I wished I'd put up here, but I didn't really take a lot of pictures and I'm a visual person so I just didn't feel right posting without them.

Right now is the blitzkrieg of berry season. All the commercial berries (except strawberries) seem to be going right now. I went to pick up raspberries for jam on Sunday and almost walked away with blueberries and marionberries also. Luckily, I have a friend who worked at a blueberry farm and is hooking me up a bit of this years first crop. And marionberry and blackberry all grow like wildfire just alongside roads and streams, so I can pick pounds and pounds of those for free on my own here soon.

I did pick up a flat of raspberries for myself and another for a friend. I helped her make freezer jam, but really wanted to make mine regular jam so I took mine home and put them in the fridge. It'd been quite a weekend, so I decided I needed to bake something for my sanity. I've been chomping at the bit to use some peaches I picked up, so I decided to make a peach cobbler to share with the neighbors, David and May. The recipe came together easily, although peeling peaches is much more tedious then I thought. You have to peel them before you cut them, but once you blanch them and pull off the skins they are a sticky mess that are nearly impossible to cut. I ended up just using a paring knife and cutting them directly off the pit.

I threw in some raspberries because well, I had them and it sounded good. Threw it in the oven and 45 mins. later out popped a beautiful concoction. Overall, I give this recipe 5 stars. It was so simple, but amazingly good. I made some vanilla whip cream to top it off, and served.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!