Thursday, June 16, 2011

Solar wax melter

So I was wondering what to do with the burr wax that I collected from my hive two weeks ago. I wanted to save it so I could make candles with it later in the season. I was unsure how to separate the wax from the pollen and nectar. I put it in a plastic container and have been looking at it for two weeks. Last night I was checking out videos on youtube and saw one about a solar wax melter. So I did some research and looked up a few sites. I discovered that you can buy one (expensive) or make one (much less expensive). The plans I saw were quite simple; build a wooden box, place a shallow bucket inside, clamp some screen material over the bucket, place your comb on the top and cover the whole thing with a piece of plexi glass. I started thinking of things I had around the house and came up with this:

This is a clear plastic storage container with a plastic dish in the bottom. I have this wire strainer on top with the comb in it. Easy to assemble and best of all....free! I already had the components to make it.


This is what it looked like when I first put it out in the sun.


A few hours later and this is what I was left with. I ran out of daylight and will finish melting my wax tomorrow. I ate one of the little pollen pellets and didn't have any allergy symptoms at all. I think this might be a great thing.


4 comments:

  1. You're so handy!! Such a great best friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog!

    The Wife and I are for the first time weighing into the world of micro-farming, and there are a lot of posts I will be using as a reference.

    Thanks for your work you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an excellent example of improvisation. Being able to make your own tools is a skill more valuable than gold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lila, Love you sweetheart.

    Matthew, thanks for stopping by! Hope you find some of our posts useful. Feel free to ask any questions. We may not have the answer, but we can usually find it.

    Hermit, I grew up having to improvise almost anything I wanted. I wanted to haul things up to my tree house, so I made a pulley system. I wanted to carry my cat in my bike (not my greatest idea) so I sewed a pouch and rigged it to my handle bars. I guess I just don't even think about buying things I know I can make just as easy. Thanks for the compliment, those are always welcome ;)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!