Saturday, May 2, 2009

Book Review: Eat This, Not That!

I picked up this book the other day after I saw an article on MSN called 20 Worst Kid's Foods in America. It's not as practical for me as I generally am not buying things like frozen dinners or chips, but I still managed to learn some things. A lot of 'healthy' food is just marketing, and fats and sugars are taken out, and replaced with fillers and HFC (high fructose corn syrup) that don't do anything for you but fill up your 'healthier' food with empty calories.

I learned that one of my favorite 'organic' spaghetti sauces is one of the worst on the market, and that another brand I'd been passing over actually has half then calories and fat and the same general ingredients. The thing I found most useful was the way the book itself was divided. Instead of saying "don't eat salty fatty foods" the book takes the approach of understand that sometimes, you're just going to eat it. So instead of eating 3,000 calories worth of this, why not 1200 of that? Just about every kind of food you could want is covered.

Overall, it's interesting. I'm not sure how much of it I will use seeing as I really don't shop at the grocery store for junk foods. Parts of it will be quite useful though, and I'm also going to buy my mom a copy for her kitchen. For someone who is looking to eat in a healthier way without having to drastically change your lifestyle, this would be perfect.

Stars: 4 out of 5
Recommend: Yes, and I would buy it again.

1 comment:

  1. Keep in mind all food is organic and natural. Anything unnatural (Whatever that means) or inorganic probably isn't food. They use these words to make something seem to be appealing. All too often it is a smoke screen; people see "All-natural and organic!" and stop paying attention.

    It's kind of like anything with the words 'Quality' and 'value' in them, you have to look twice to make sure it's not just a marketing ploy.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!