Wednesday, May 27, 2009

weird weather

Weird weather is not uncommon here. We have snow in June and warm weather right up to November. But what we don't get much of is rain. We have had rain every single day for 5-6 days! My lawn is nice and green...and too wet to mow. My flower gardens are beautiful...but overgrown with weeds. I am not complaining, really I'm not. I love the rain. The lawn can get long and the wet soil will make pulling the weeds a breeze. I love the way the rain water makes my plants GROW, culinary water just can't compare. I love to walk in the rain. I love the smell and the way it makes my hair feel. I think I live in the wrong place. I could totally live in a place where it rains at least once a week. Each time we get a rainbow we run for the camera, they are quite rare around here.

There is only one drawback to all this rain. We are going to pay dearly for it during fire season. Spring rain makes all of the grass grow tall in the hills. Then the desert climate returns and it dries out making tinder for out of control wild fires. We get fires every year and we come to expect it. We have wonderful firefighters who have not lost a house yet in all the years I have lived here. We have had some close calls where I was worried we would be evacuated but luckily it never happened. This year I am going to be ready. Last time it happened I was in a panic trying to find all of our important paperwork and trying to gather all of our photo albums in case we had to get out fast. We were already packed for a week long trip so most of what we would need was all ready. Just as I was about to have a full blown panic attack, the rain started and the fire was extinguished. This year we have a safe that houses all of our important papers. I can quickly open it and just gather them all up. My photos are kept in one photo box, easy to grab. The rest are in albums or on my computer. I am working on 72 hour kits for each of us so they will also be easy to grab and go. I WILL be ready this time.

1 comment:

  1. The weather has been unusual here in the Smoky Mountains as well. It has thunderstormed and rained almost every night. And this after six years of bad drought. I had forgotten how green the mountains get when they have enough water.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!