Monday, April 13, 2009

How did I miss this?!

Saturday, my dad kindly agreed to watch the boy so I could grab some Easter treats. I didn't get much as I plan on making some cookies and things tonight, instead of feeding him an insane amount of jellybeans or the like. I like him calm and low in sugar (and frankly I'm sick of scraping him off the ceiling after every holiday).

When I went to pick him up, I noticed a magazine sitting on the table. I glanced at the cover and was a bit confused. Grizzly looking guy, snowy cabin, big husky... and the words The Back Woodsmen. I snagged it and settled down to breeze through it real quick, and instead spent about 45 minutes going through every word. It had a wide variety of topics, from how to spot native fruit trees to how to make bottle cap candles.

According to my dad the magazine has been laying around his house since January. I don't believe him because I know my current domestic insanity would have led me to something like this like a homing beacon.

I have to say, I'm already in love. It's very no nonsense writing and editing, and you can tell these guys know their stuff. Nothing is horribly impractical, even for someone who is a newbie to survivalist things like me. You can find them online at backwoodsmanmag.com, with articles from the current issues, a merchandise store and other recommendations for books and things.

You can order the magazine online (much to my happiness) and subscription is insanely cheap (respectively) at $23 a year, $44 for 2 years or $250 for a lifetime subscription. It does take 6-8 weeks for your subscription to come, but the magazine is bi-monthly. I ordered both a year subscription and the March/April issue (back issues are $5 each). I'm really excited about this new addition to my reading, and I'm sure I will try some of them for your enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! We are happy to answer questions, join in debate and conversation, or just say hi. All we ask is for respect. Respect us and others. Keep it civil. Obviously we aren't afraid of cussing but we don't like anyone degraded or invalidated.

We also know we make mistakes. Feel free to call us out. You can't improve things that need it if you aren't aware of it.

If you have an opinion share it but know if it is going to cause hurt to someone we care about we will not approve it.

Most of all have fun!!